Sorry for not doing my regular Sunday Planning post – it was quite hectic around here yesterday! See my race/weekend recap for proof
Meals – Week of April 23, 2012
Dinner: at parents’ house (free food & good company = a score!)
Breakfast: whole-wheat toast spread with peanut butter, flax + sliced banana
Lunch: hummus + flatbread; pear
Dinner: tilapia with pineapple-mint salsa + quinoa
Snacks: trail mix, yogurt, smoothie
Treat: oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Breakfast:English muffin topped with peanut butter, sliced banana & a small handful of chocolate chips
Lunch: spinach + arugula salad with shredded chicken, goat cheese, strawberries, blueberries, mandarin oranges + candied pecans (mmm)
Dinner: beef + sweet potato tagine on quinoa (from Quinoa365)
Snacks: apple + almonds, diced watermelon
Breakfast: oatmeal with sliced apple & chopped walnuts
Lunch: pulled bbq chicken sandwich + sweet potato
Snacks: pear, yogurt with berries
Breakfast: yogurt with walnuts + HolyCrap!
Lunch: cheese + crackers, banana
Dinner: whole-wheat pasta with veggies + tomato sauce
Snacks: apple slices with caramel sauce + pear
Breakfast: oatmeal with banana slices, almonds, HolyCrap!, + peanut butter
Lunch: spinach salad with black beans, walnuts, mandarin oranges + balsamic vinaigrette
Dinner: out with girlfriends!
Snacks: apple, yogurt
Workouts – Week of April 23, 2012
MONDAY – sore from 10k race – rest/stretch
TUESDAY – weights (details to follow)
WEDNESDAY – yoga at home
THURSDAY – cardio (details to follow)
FRIDAY – weights (details to follow)
SATURDAY – fun, exciting NEW workout – Jukari Fly!
SUNDAY – cardio (details to follow)
Dinner tonight was a tried & true favourite – tilapia with pineapple-mint salsa + quinoa (recipe below)
Tilapia with Pineapple-Mint Salsa + Quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt (to taste)
- 3/4 c diced, fresh pineapple
- lime juice
- cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped, fresh mint
- 2 tilapia fillets (other kinds of fish that would work include sole, cod + salmon)
- dried raisins + cranberries
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, then add 1/2 cup of quinoa
- Cover + cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes
- As quinoa cooks, combine diced pineapple, 1.5 tsp lime juice, pinch cayenne pepper, mint + pinch of oregano in a bowl (to create salsa)
- Drizzle olive oil over fillets + sprinkle 1/2 tsp of oregano; cook in skillet over medium heat – about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, after quinoa has absorbed water (about 15 minutes), set aside + keep covered for 5 minutes.
- When fish is cooked through, transfer to plate + spoon salsa overtop. Mix in about 3 tbsp each of dried cranberries + raisins to the quinoa & scoop beside fish.
This recipe reminds me of summer, which was a nice daydream & escape from the reality of the dreary weather today! Next time, I hope to enjoy this with a tee-shirt, on our patio, with a glass of beer/wine/mojito .
Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the week!