I hate to be the party pooper here, but.. it’s kinda the last weekend of summer! Although technically fall doesn’t begin until September 22nd, it unofficially begins after this weekend in my mind. That said, the weather is supposed to continue to be beautiful and warm here in Toronto, so we’ll still be enjoying time in the sun, patio hopping, and frolicking around in other summer activities until the very last possible moment ;) So.. basically.. we’ll in a bit of an awkward limbo between summer/fall for the next few week. I’m not complaining though, since summer and fall are my two favourite seasons!
Anyway, that was a bit of a digression. What are YOUR plans for this labour day long weekend? I’m going on a shopping trip to Buffalo with my mom and our very best family friends that we’ve known since I was born! We go on a trip of some sort together every year around this time. Last year, the highlight of our trip was a misadventure at the Olive Garden (long story). I’m really looking forward to spending some quality time with the girls! I’ll be back on Monday and plan to spend the day soaking up the last bits of summer with the boy :)
In the mean time, I’ve got some great recipes for you to try this weekend! I’ve been trying lots of new things in the kitchen lately & have a ton to share. Let’s start with a super yummy salad, shall we?
I love this salad ‘cause it’s healthy (as the name implies) and really flavourful. I am a big fan of Indian food, but always end up feeling kinda crappy after eating it (no pun intended). I think the heavy creams mixed with the spices end up starting a war with my stomach, and my stomach always loses. This recipe has all the traditional flavour of tandoori chicken, but without the heaviness. ENJOY!
HEALTHY TANDOORI CHICKEN SALAD
Prep time: allow 2-24 hours for marinating the chicken
Cook time: 20 min.
- 1 chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
- juice from 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala (speciality Indian spice)
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- black pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 orange (or any colour) bell pepper
- 1 apple
- 1 c. sweet potato, baked + sprinkled with cinnamon
- 1/2 c. raisins
- 1 c. quinoa, cooked
- a few handfuls of baby spinach
- Mix garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, garam masala + cumin in a bowl. Add yogurt, lemon juice, ginger + black pepper and stir all ingredients until well combined.
- Dice chicken + add to yogurt mixture; stir to coat. Cover bowl with saran wrap + refrigerate for at least two hours (or up to 24h!)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F + simultaneously bake chicken + sweet potato (on separate baking sheets)
- Chicken: lightly grease a baking sheet or baking pan with olive oil. Remove chicken from bowl + place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through), flipping the pieces half way through
- Sweet potato: place sliced/diced sweet potato in a baking dish or sheet and top with olive oil + cinnamon. Bake for 25 mins, flipping halfway through.
- While chicken + sweet potato bake, slice apple + pepper
- Place a few handfuls of spinach in a bowl and mix in raisins, sliced apple + pepper. Add chicken + sweet potato when done cooking.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil + squeeze some lemon juice over the whole mix + enjoy! :)
I will warn you that the chicken is pretttty spicey spice (that said, I’m a spice wimp). It’s super healthy + easy to make during the week. I marinated the chicken in the morning + really just had to do a bit of chopping + baking when I got home!
Other recipes I’ve tried recently that you may enjoy:
Jenny @ Picky Palate’s Garlic-Peach-Grilled Chicken – PHENOMENAL
BBQ Spiced Salmon with Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa via How Sweet It Is – absolutely incredible. Even if you don’t want to try this recipe, you should check out how beautiful this food photography porn is. Such a beautiful blog!
Peach and Tomato Summer Salad via Embracing Balance – also a real winner + great to try before the end of summer! I used cherry tomatoes instead of regular ‘cause I roll like that and am awful at chopping tomatoes. (See photo below):
I’ve also stumbled upon some new products lately that I wanna rave about.
*Sasha Co.’s Buckwheat Snacks: gluten-free, raw, vegan (basically SUPER hippie) delicious snack to grab on the go! They are super healthy, which is always welcome in my books. Plus, they’re kinda cute (yes, food can be cute).
Check out the natural ingredients:
And thing I love most? The AMAZING mineral and vitamin profile on these little suckers: in each serving (1/3 c.) there are 5g of fibre (28% DV), 7g of protein, 10% DV iron, 20% DV niacin, 45% DV magnesium, and it goes on and on and on…
Okay. Now that that rant is over, my next one…
*New Activia DESSERT line –
Duncan & I tried the Caramel Apple Pie the other night & weren’t disapointed. Though I loved the flavour, I was having a bit of a texture issue. I usually have no complaints about the texture of yogurt, but since this was very pie tasting, I felt like it should have some crunch! My problem was instantly solved by adding some cinnamon oat granola. It was a party!
These aren’t actually bad for you at all, either! They basically have the same nutritional profile as regular yogurt.
In other news, today was the last fortnight friday for me! :( I’ve enjoyed having the extra day off every other week and will really miss it! This morning I went for my long training run and went further than I ever had before: 16k. GAH. It took me way longer than I had hoped, but I’m also trying to keep it easy and go slow to avoid injury. Once I build up my running muscles + stamina, I’ll try pushing myself a little harder in terms of the speed.
Last but not least, I’d like to share a fun fact with you. You may already know this, but I had no idea & so I’ve found it very helpful. Did you know that hairspray helps to take out ink stains on clothing? I got pen on one of my new favourite tops (as per usual) & thought it was a gonner! Then, one of my lovely co-workers told me to simply spray the spot with hairspray + dab before putting it in the wash. It worked like a gem :)
And now, this post is officially dragging on & so I’ll leave you before I start rambling about senseless, ridiculous things. I hope you guys all have a really wonderful long weekend! See you later gators :)
- What are your plans for the long weekend? Anything you want to accomplish before the official end of summer?
- What is your favourite season?